Adoption Training & Education
Adoption Information Meeting
This meeting is the starting point of your Adoption journey. We will be going over St. Elizabeth|Coleman Adoption policies, procedures, fees, etc. You will receive the Application to Adopt and initial paperwork. To see if you are eligible to adopt from our agency, check our Domestic Adoption Page. In addition to an overview of Domestic Adoption, our International Adoption Team will share information about our services and resources regarding International Adoption. We excited that The Barker Adoption Foundation is joining us again at this meeting. The Barker Adoption Foundation is non-profit placing agency with partners in China, Colombia, India, and South Korea. Check our International Adoption Page. and also
Need to know
- Usually lasts about 2 hours
- Please park in the North parking lot
- Use the Conference Room door at the rear of the building.
- As space is limited we will not be able to accommodate children
Next meeting will be August 18th, 2018 at 3:00 P.M.
If you have any further questions contact Renee Hummel at 317-787-3412(ext 15) or
Transracial / Transcultural Training
This training is for any adoptive parent (and their families) considering adopting a child of a race or ethnicity different than their own. It is open to clients of all agencies not just St. Elizabeth|Coleman. Katrina Carlisle leads this training and shares her experiences parenting two children born in South Korea.
Training will consist of
- Tips for addressing racism and prejudices
- Tips for responding to comments and questions
- Tips for helping your child feel comfortable with themselves, family, and cultural identity
- Panel of adult adoptees speaking about their experiences growing up in a racially diverse family
Next Training: TBD
RSVP: Sent email to Katrina with the number of persons attending, the names of all attending and a contact phone number or call 317-787-3412. Space is limited, so register early.
Need to know
- Each participate will receive a certificate for 5 hours of training
- $20 fee per person ($10 for those adopting through St. Elizabeth|Coleman and free to all grandparents)
- Fee is payable at the door by cash or personal check
- Light refreshments are served; no lunch provided
- More detailed Information available HERE
Domestic Adoption Training
At this training, members of our adoption team will be providing information about all aspects of Adoption in an educational, fun and interactive way. We will share ideas and suggestions on how to talk to your child about adoption.
If you have completed the following steps, you will be invited to this training
- Attended our Domestic Adoption Information Meeting
- Met with the Director of Adoption Services, Renee Hummel, for an interview
Support Group for Waiting Adoptive Families
Agency Director, Renee Hummel, facilitates an ongoing online support group for potential adoptive couples currently on our waiting list.
We offer support, discuss topics of concern, education on different ways to approach and positively speak about adoption, and a place to share with other adoptive couples that may be experiencing the same issues you feel need discussed.