Adoption Training & Education
Adoption Information Seminar (Registration Required)
Saturday, September 24, 2022 (Virtual Event)
This seminar is the starting point of your Adoption journey. Information is shared about our domestic and international adoption programs. In addition, we review St. Elizabeth|Coleman Adoption policies, procedures, fees, services etc.
When: Saturday, September 24, 2022
Register in advance for this Zoom meeting: Click here to Register
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
Transracial / Transcultural Training
September 2022 (Virtual Event)
This training is for any adoptive parent (and their families) considering adopting a child of a race or ethnicity other than their own. It is open to adoptive families working with other adoption agencies. Nadja Radtke, International Adoption Homestudy Supervisor and Shamia Barksdale, Search and Reunion Specialist will lead this training.
This training will be conducted virtually via Zoom. Registration is required (more information to follow).
Training will consist of
- Tips for addressing racism and prejudices
- Tips for responding to comments and questions
- Tips for helping your child feel comfortable with themselves, family, and cultural identity
- Panel of adult adoptees speaking about their experiences growing up in a racially diverse family
Need to know
- Each participate will receive a certificate for 5 hours of training
- this training is also approved by DCS for foster parents
- $20 fee per person ($10 for those adopting through St. Elizabeth|Coleman and free to all grandparents)
- Fee is payable through Acceptiva, our secure online payment system (link to follow)
Domestic Adoption Seminar
At this training, members of our adoption team will be providing information about all aspects of Adoption in an educational, fun and interactive way. We will share ideas and suggestions on how to talk to your child about adoption.
If you have completed the following steps, you will be invited to this training
- Attended our Adoption Information Seminar
- Met with the Director of Pregnancy & Adoption Services, Renee Hummel, for an interview
Support Group for Waiting Adoptive Families
Agency Director, Renee Hummel, facilitates an ongoing online support group for potential adoptive couples currently on our waiting list.
We offer support, discuss topics of concern, education on different ways to approach and positively speak about adoption, and a place to share with other adoptive couples that may be experiencing the same issues you feel need discussed.